This training presents the trainees with title selection through thorough selection criteria and funneling them down into researchable titles. As an advanced research course, it also extensively deals with principles of proposal development and its advanced components such as conceptual framework, theoretical model, working model and analytical matrix. It farther contains setting the general and specific objectives, forming the central and sub questions, designing hypotheses of the study for selected appropriate titles, respectively. In addition to these, the training covers the structure of the study and critical review related literatures. Furthermore, it includes qualitative and quantitative approaches to research, comparison of variety of study designs like; surveying (cross sectional and longitudinal), experimental, documentary survey, developmental, etc based on relevant titles. Variety of data collection methods, selected and common instruments development and their management during the process of data collection with emphasis given to both qualitative and quantitative approaches are also aspects of the training such as statistical concepts of estimation, hypothesis testing, significance level, analysis of data using different statistical tools like SPSS, application of hypothesis tests like Z-test, t-test, chi-square test, regression and correlation for analysis are also the other important elements of the training.
Relating the findings with other related studies and theoretical assumptions and proper citation and standard referencing listings are also the essential components of the training. The training tries to finally compare the distinction in the research methods among different disciplines.
Training topics to be covered include:
• Study title refining and funneling down using standard criteria
• Variety of study designs and approaches for scientific research methods
• Literature review in line with conceptual framework, theoretical model
• Further on statistical tools and applications
• More on scientific report writing
• Distinct characters of scientific research methods for different discipline
At the end of the training the participants will be able to:
• Identify critical problems supported by scientific evidence to be followed by a design of means of solutions, using the scientific knowledge and skills gained from the training.
• Design strategic plans and write activity reports through scientific evidences at a more advanced professional level, playing a leading role in support of host organization.
• Use the advanced level dependable research foundation and confidence to support further research based education like terminal dissertation.
• Organize and lead a scientific research team as an expert to work on consultation projects.
• Connect the study purposes and out puts with viable theoretical assumptions and model the connection in ether qualitative or quantitative ways.
• Apply different study designs as per the relevancy of the study title and connect the analytical tools with the knowledge of statistics as a subject.
• Produce a very standard and advanced scientific report to be flowed by relevant policy briefs for the use of policy makers when relevant.
• Evaluate the research method styles of different disciplines and discuss the distinction critically.
During the training, the instructor presents topics and activities in a logical sequence following the participants to demonstrate their experience, knowledge and skills. The training participants will be requested to work in groups on a specific topic and they will present it to the class to be followed by discussions. The training delivery activities include lectures, class exercise, group discussions, instructor led examples, problem sets, computer assisted template designing and data encoding exercises (using SPSS software) and lively discussions. Presentations and discussions will be supported by power point slides.
• This basic course is planned to assist interested individuals in any profession at advanced level, could be redirected towards the methodology of individual area of specialization which
could help those candidates working for their PhD.
• Any researcher/academician/related personnel who passed or who experienced the basic and intermediate levels of scientific research training/practices and want to proceed to advanced level of scientific investigation.
• Officers or academicians at the level of 2nd degree who are forced to support their job reports by advanced level of scientific evidences, and want to use it for advanced learning, PhD.
• Those who want to support their senior thesis in their specific area of specialization.
• Any academician who want to be part of a scientific research team as a leader if need be.
• Community administration officers, their offices or departments attached with scientific evidences supported reports and concerned with identifying societal problems, design a plan to solve them in a more advanced way.
• For those who want to train their assistant personnel for human resource development at a higher level can join and benefit a lot from this training.
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Language: English Start Date: 3 August 2019 Duration: 4 days Skill Level: advanced Class Size: 15-30 Certificate: Yes Fee: Includes Value Added Tax (VAT), refreshments and cost of printed training materials.
Advanced Scientific Research Methods
Registration Deadline: 25 July 2019