Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) consists of Portland cement, aggregates, water, air voids and, in many cases, admixtures. The training covers many aspects of Portland cement production, chemical composition, hydration processes and physical properties of Portland cement. A brief description about aggregates (sources, properties, testing and handling) used in concrete construction is presented. Among others, the most significant attributes of aggregates in PCC applications include gradation, specific gravity, shape, texture, toughness and soundness. The development of admixtures for concrete has improved the workability, setting time, strength and economy of concrete construction. In this training, supplementary cementitious materials used as admixtures are also presented. The training covers basic principles of conventional PCC, its proportioning, mixing and handling, curing and testing. Several alternatives to conventional concrete that increase the flexibility and applications to improve the performance of concrete are also introduced. Key laboratory and field test procedures and typical results used in concrete construction are also discussed.
Training topics to be covered include:
• Portland cement production, properties and types
• Properties and tests of hydrated cement
• Aggregates in concrete construction
• Admixtures in concrete construction
• Proportioning of concrete mixes
• Mixing, placing and handling of fresh concrete
• Curing of hardened concrete
• Testing of hardened concrete
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
• Describe productions and properties of Portland cement
• Describe types of Portland cement
• Evaluate aggregate properties suitable to concrete construction
• Select admixture types based on concrete applications
• Design PCC mix for several concrete construction applications
• Describe laboratory and field testing of hardened concrete
• Describe materials and technologies alternative to the conventional concrete
During the training, the instructor presents topics and activities in a logical sequence allowing participants to demonstrate their experience, knowledge and skills. The training sessions will be participatory and engaging training sessions will be conducted. Training participants will be requested to work in groups on a specific topic and they will present these to the class. The training delivery activities include lectures, class exercises, group discussions, instructor-led example problem sets and lively discussions. The training also includes movies and simulation videos to demonstrate laboratory and field tests.
The target audience for this training consists of structural engineers, material engineers, lab managers and technicians, quality control/assurance supervisors, material and equipment suppliers and concrete plant operators. Other training beneficiary includes engineering professionals closely working with quality control and quality assurance of concrete construction.
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Language: English Start Date: 18 April 2019 Duration: 5 days Skill Level: Advanced Class Size: 15-30 Certificate: Yes Fee: Includes Value Added Tax (VAT), refreshments and cost of printed training materials.
Registration Deadline: 11 April 2019