Underground piping drainage system including inlet structures is one of the main parts of road or urban drainage systems. Miss-designing of this subsystem causes flood in urban areas and devastation of road pavement structures before their maturity and before their design life. Weak quality control and supervision of constructions were one of the reasons for this failure. This short-term training is designed to build the capacity of employees of governmental and non-governmental organizations engaging in design of drainage system and fresh graduates who want to join these organizations. The training aims to increase the quality of drainage system projects to and enhance the efficiency of national and international resources invested on this sector. The community could also get more services and they can be protected from flood hazards, traffic accidents and associated diseases.
Training topics to be covered include:
• Data collection for designing drainage system
• Recurrence interval selection appropriate to the drainage projects
• Rational method and design discharge
• Piped drainage system for a small urban catchment
• Time of concentration and peak discharge
• Pit water levels and the hydraulic grade line
• Pipe invert levels and grades
Upon the completion of this training, participants will be able to:
• Formulate the hydrology and hydraulics of small urban catchments
• Manipulate data collected
• Compute peak discharge and energy grade lines
• Prepare the layout for a piped drainage system
• Determine the size of pipes and inlets
During the training, the instructor presents topics and activities in a logical sequence allowing participants to demonstrate their experience, knowledge and skills. The training sessions will be participatory and engaging training sessions will be conducted. Training participants will be requested to work in groups on a specific topic and they will present these to the class. The training delivery activities include lectures, class exercises, group discussions, instructor-led example problem sets and lively discussions.
The target audience for this training consists of employee from national and international organization working on drainage and related construction works, fresh graduates who needs to be competent on skilled labor market.
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Language: English Start Date: 20 April 2019 Duration: 4 days Skill Level: Advanced Class Size: 15-30 Certificate: Yes Fee: Includes Value Added Tax (VAT), refreshments and cost of printed training materials.
Design of Underground Piping Drainage Systems
BR = Ethiopian Birr
Registration Deadline: 13 April 2019