This training presents a state-of-the-practice, comprehensive asphalt mix design and analysis system called Superpave – an acronym for SUperior PERforming Asphalt PAVEments). The Superpave mix design method is designed to replace the Marshall and Hveem methods. Superpave accounts for traffic loading and environmental conditions and includes a new method of evaluating the asphalt mixture. In this training, selection of aggregates and asphalt binders materials and development of trial blends and batching suitable to Superpave mix design is briefly discussed. The training presents specimen preparation and compaction processes, volumetric calculations and analysis of compacted asphalt mixes to obtain design binder content, specification, mix design criteria and laboratory test equipment required to design Superpave. The training further covers moisture sensitivity test and performance tests and criteria to address critical pavement distresses such as rutting, fatigue cracking and low temperature cracking. Discussions on the challenges and opportunities of developing Superpave specification and it’s implementations in the context of developing counties are included.
Training topics to be covered include:
• Role of asphalt mixes in pavements
• Overview of asphalt mix design methods
• Testing and requirements for aggregate properties
• Superpave binder testing and specification
• Volumetric analysis and properties of asphalt mixtures
• Moisture sensitivity testing
• Performance tests for rutting and cracking resistance
• Field verification of Superpave mixes
Upon the completion of this training, participants will be able to:
• Select asphalt and aggregate materials knowing their effect on asphalt mixture properties
• Perform proportioning, volumetric calculations and analysis
• Conduct moisture sensitive and performance laboratory tests
• Interpret laboratory test results and relate to field conditions
• Manage quality of Superpave mix design
During the training, the instructor presents topics and activities in a logical sequence allowing participants to demonstrate their experience, knowledge and skills. The training sessions will be participatory and engaging training sessions will be conducted. Training participants will be requested to work in groups on a specific topic and they will present these to the class. The training delivery activities include lectures, class exercises, group discussions, instructor-led example problem sets and, lively discussions and the demonstration of LTPPBind software for selecting Performance Grade (PG) binder.
The target audience for this training consists of pavement and material engineers, lab managers and technicians, quality control/assurance supervisors, material and equipment suppliers and asphalt plant operators. Other training beneficiary includes engineering professionals closely working with quality control and quality assurance of new and rehabilitated asphalt pavements.
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Language: English Start Date: 23 June 2019 Duration: 5 days Skill Level: Advanced Class Size: 15-30 Certificate: Yes Fee: Includes Value Added Tax (VAT), refreshments and cost of printed training materials.
Superpave Asphalt Mix Design
BR = Ethiopian Birr
Registration Deadline: 16 June 2019